Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Atonement of Jesus Christ

Before His crucifixion and after the "Last Supper", Jesus Christ made his way with His disciples to a place known as Gethsemane. There He told the disciples that they should sit here while He went to pray, He took with him then Peter and the sons of Zebedee. He told them "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me." It says that He advanced a little further and fell on His face. In what had to be an agonizing plea with the Father, He asked if there was another way that we may be saved, but there wasn't. This was the only way and He was the only One who could save us.

In that garden, He through His love took upon Himself our sins, pains, afflictions, insecurities, and everything that makes this life hard. He has borne our grief, sorrow, anguish and guilt. He has felt the pains of everyone ranging from the loss of a loved one to the suffering of cancer. The pain and anguish was so great Luke says that an angel came to strengthen Him. As horrible the pain and terrifying the experience Jesus pressed on and defeated the foe, the diabolical one. But, as exhausting as this ordeal had to be He accomplished the task, but treachery was beginning to be made manifest. As Judas approached his Master, he gave the guards their "criminal" and their Redeemer. Brought before Pilate He was condemned by the crowd although no fault was found in Him. But, they would not have him gone free, their lust for blood was unquenchable, and their hatred for this Son of Man was intolerant. Carrying the beam that His hands and wrists would be nailed to, He made His was to Golgotha. There He was hung. His flesh pierced with nails. And there suffered again pain the best that humans could deliver. Having His Father's Spirit withdrawn from Him, He cries "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" But, He withstood the divine withdrawal and having accomplished all the Father had asked He says, "It is finished."

I love Jesus Christ and I am eternally grateful for Him, I cannot express my appreciation for my Savior. I know that He is the Redeemer and Savior of all men. He alone shouldered the burden of our salvation. I know He lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment