Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day Special!

Mother's day is wonderful time of the year, not just because missionaries around the world get to call home, but because it's the day when we get the opportunity to express our sincere love and appreciation for our dear mother's. There really is no adequate blog, thank-you card, or even a much needed telephone call that can truly show our earnest and heartfelt gratitude to the beloved women in our lives, but I will blog about it none-the-less.


May I share something that is dear to me. As a young lad I was a scared of the dark, terrified really and I honestly can't recall a night of the first 10-12 years of my life where I didn't have my mother waiting and watching me until I blissfully drifted off to sleep. Sometimes I would wake up, horrified of being alone and I would run down the hall to her room as fast as my little chicken-legs could carry me and I would ever so gently crawl into bed and fall back to sleep. These aren't great sacrifices that my mother made for me, but the comfort I felt as a young child meant more to me than I could possibly ever express. However, being a single parent can be quite discouraging. I spent what felt like more time with a baby-sitter for the first 4 years of my life than my mother not because I was a burden and because she was getting some relief time from me, but because she was going to college and was doing something with her life so that I could do something with mine. I love you mom and you are my hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment