Saturday, November 5, 2011

Do Mormon's Believe In A Different Jesus?

Well, I have encountered this question several times since being on my mission. The conclusion I came up with is this, there are several types of Jesus that people believe in. I'll try and make a list of the types of Jesus, I have heard people describe. There are several different attributes Jesus has, but I put the most relevant ones pertaining to our Eternal Salvation.


The type of Jesus that requires absolutely nothing from us, but saves only those who believe in Him, through His grace.
The type of Jesus that reflects a lot of the attributes of todays world so that all types of people will be drawn to follow Him. 
The hellfire and damnation Jesus, that only allows those who obey the commandments with a Pharisaical type of diligence, to be saved.
Contrary to the previous one, the all loving Jesus, who doesn't care who you are, what you act like, or what you do because he loves you, you are saved.
The type of Jesus that realizes we are all mortals and therefore doesn't condone sin, but rather it is justified because of our nature.


Well, this is the Jesus we believe in.

He is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. (2 Nephi 2:6-8)
He lives this very moment and has a resurrected body of flesh and bone. He is not a Spirit, but is a distinct and seperate Being than from Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost. (3 Nephi 11:14-17)
He has Atoned for our sins and is mighty to save, but His grace is conditional upon our effort to follow His example. (2 Nephi 31)
His name is the ONLY name by which we can be saved. (2 Nephi 25:19-20)
He was foreordained before the Earth was even created to be the Savior and Redeemer of the world. (Ether 3:14)
Most importantly, He suffered for our sins was crucified for our sakes and was resurrected that we may find life in Him. (Mosiah 3:5-9)

I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe He lives this very moment and that He is the Author and Finisher of my faith. I know He died for me and that He loves me.

2 comments: